We have prepared a booklet called St Norbert Parish – Wedding Guide where you can find all the essentials for preparing for and celebrating your marriage. You will want to be sure to read this booklet very thoroughly. This booklet contains general information and guidelines on the wedding day schedule, church facilities, parking, the wedding rehearsal and the wedding liturgy. Also included are Parish policies and procedures with regards to music, photography and videotaping, flowers and decorations, safety issues, wedding fees and necessary documentation.
General Wedding Requirements
- One of the couple must be a registered and active member of St. Norbert Parish for six months (or a child/grandchild of an active member).
- For each Catholic party, a current baptismal and confirmation certificate copy must be provided. These copies must not be dated earlier than six (6) months prior to the date of marriage. You may obtain a certificate by contacting the church in which you were baptized.
- Members of other faiths should present proof of their baptism, if they have been baptized. A certificate or letter from the church in which they were baptized will be adequate.
- A Marriage License must be obtained at least 2 weeks prior to the wedding date
Because of the importance and permanence of marriage, the Archdiocese of Chicago requires couples to prepare for this holy sacrament. About four to six months before the wedding, you will meet with your assigned priest to assemble your “wedding file”. At St. Norbert Parish this includes:
- A Prenuptial Questionnaire to help you grow as a couple.
- Attendance at a marriage preparation class. Various programs that can be completed in person or online are available. Your priest will recommend a class for you.
- Pairing with a married couple in the parish who will mentor you on the exciting transition into married life.
Planning Your Wedding Liturgy
The Catholic Church provides two forms of celebrating the Rite of Marriage, a Wedding Mass or Wedding Service.
A Wedding Mass is the preferred service for a wedding if both the bride and groom are active Catholics in their faith lives. The couple should be attending Mass on Sundays and Holy Days and be in good standing with the Church.
A Wedding Service is the service option that is available to a couple when either the bride or the groom is non-Catholic or both Catholic parties are not active participants in the life of the Church. This service contains the Liturgy of the Word (scripture readings) with the Rite of Marriage. The Eucharist is not celebrated.
Your service selection will be discussed with your Priest at your initial meeting.
Click on the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) for more information. For additional questions or requirements, prior to your first meeting with the priest, please contact the Parish Office.