Youth Confirmation preparation is a two-year program that begins in the seventh grade. The Confirmation curriculum focuses on the life and teachings of Jesus, the sacraments, and our communal worship in Mass.
Students will affirm for themselves their faith in Jesus and His Church. The goal at St. Norbert Parish is to help Confirmandi (person being confirmed) deepen their personal relationship with Christ, develop their sense of belonging in a living Christian community, and personally ratify their membership in the Catholic Church
When you’re confirmed, you choose a Confirmation name to add to your first and middle names. This can be your birth name or the name of a saint you admire, who can pray for you from heaven. Participants also choose a sponsor who will guide them on their journey.
Youth Confirmation Ceremony
The Confirmation ceremony takes place at a special Mass, normally in April. The ceremony is presided by a bishop with a parish priest assisting. During the ceremony participants and their sponsors will be invited to approach the bishop. The bishop will address the person being confirmed by their chosen saint name. After the participant is addressed by the bishop he will place the sign of the cross on the participant forehead and recite the phrase “Be sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit.” All members of the confirmation class go through the same process. Upon completion of the confirmation, the Confirmandi start their commitment to live their lives in faith. They are now adults in the eyes of the Church.
Youth Confirmation Participation Requirements
Youth Confirmation candidates must:
- Be between the ages of thirteen and eighteen
- Have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist.
- Practice their faith
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the responsibilities of Church members
- Be committed to continuing the faithful practice and study of their religion
- Have a sincere desire to receive the sacrament
- Complete Confirmation preparation classes
Youth Confirmation Preparation
Preparation for Confirmation includes the following activities:
- Regular Attendance at Sunday Mass
- Enroll and regularly attend Confirmation Classes
- Choosing a Sponsor and Confirmation Name
- An Interview with a parish staff member or priest
- Participation in a Confirmation Retreat
- Completing a minimum of ten hours of community service
- Renewal of Baptismal Promises
For information about preparing for Confirmation, please visit our Sacrament Preparation – Confirmation page.
Choosing a Confirmation Sponsor
The confirmation sponsor should be a person who is a strong role-model as a faith-filled Catholic. This person will be a companion in your faith journey and will vouch for your readiness to receive the sacrament. The sponsor should meet regularly with the candidate to help them prepare for the sacrament through prayer, study, service and discussion. The sponsor will be in attendance at rehearsals and at the confirmation ceremony. Attendance by proxy is allowed in certain situations. A request for a proxy should be directed to the Family Faith Formation Coordinator or your St. Norbert School Teacher.
A Sponsor must:
- Be a practicing Roman Catholic who attends Mass regularly
- Know the candidate and be willing to serve as a strong and long lasting Christian
- Be fully initiated themselves, having received Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist
- Should be sufficiently mature in their own faith commitment
- May be either male or female for any candidate
- Must be reasonably informed on current church teachings
- May accompany the candidate to special liturgies and preparation programs
- May not be the parents of the candidate
- Assists in determining the candidate’s readiness for the sacrament
The initiation of children into the sacramental life of the Church is primarily the responsibility of parents. Although the child has reached the age of reason at the time of preparation for Confirmation, they have not yet been fully initiated. Parents must assist their child in the life of holiness. Please talk to your child about what they are learning and help them see how these things can be part of their everyday lives. Your affirmation, reiteration, and daily practice of faith are so very necessary to prepare your child for this sacrament.
Youth Confirmation Schedule 2015-16
|Parent/Child Meeting||September 29, 2015||7:00 pm||St. Norbert Church|
|Confirmation Sponsor Form Due||Week of December 6, 2015|
|Confirmation Name Due||Week of December 6, 2015|
|Paper on Person You Admire Due||Week of December 6, 2015|
|Retreat||Sunday January 24, 2016||12:00 - 5:15 PM|
5:30 Mass with Parents
|St. Norbert Church|
|Interviews with Parish Staff|
|Week in Feb - TBD|
|Letter of Intent Due||Week of February 21, 2016|
|Confirmation Exam||February 28 & 29, 2016||Regular Class Time||St. Norbert School|
|Service Hours and Service Reflection Due||Week of March 13. 2016|
for parents & candidates
|Tuesday April 5, 2016||7:00 pm||St. Norbert School|
|Confirmation Ceremony with Bishop Joseph N. Perry||April 9||1:00 pm||St. Norbert Church|
How to enroll in Confirmation Preparation
For Family Faith Formation Participants Contact Betty Parkinson, Director of Family Faith Formation
For New Parishioners Contact Tracy Nelson, Parish Office Manager
For St. Norbert School Students Contact Rosemary West, School Admin Asst.