Thank you for volunteering to provide dinner for our Family Promise (FP) Guests. As we approach our hosting weeks, we will have more information regarding the number of individuals currently in the program, ages of children, allergies, etc. This information will be forwarded to you.
Please plan to provide a healthy, well-balanced meal for 20 people. Plan to stay and eat with our FP Guests. Let the Dinner Coordinator know in advance what you plan to prepare. This allows us to vary the menu. FP requests that pasta is kept to once a week. The Dinner Coordinator can help you with menu suggestions.
Our FP Guests stay in Grace Hall during their two-week stay. The classrooms above Grace Hall serve as home to our FP Guests, while Grace Hall is transformed into a Dining Room/Family Room.
Below is specific information that will help you as you plan your meal/evening with our FP Guests:
- Arrive at Grace Hall by 6pm with your prepared dinner. The Grace Hall kitchen is a prep kitchen, not a “full” kitchen. There is no stove, oven, dishwasher or freezer. When you arrive, food can be set out on tables in Grace Hall. Please set the table and gather drinks from the refrigerator.
- Expect that Guests will arrive between 6:00-6:30pm. They typically come in tired from their long day, and enjoy a little down time in their rooms prior to eating dinner.
- Plan to serve dinner around 6:45pm. We have found that buffet style works best. Pray together before the meal.
- Eat with the Guests and include any other volunteers that are there to help. (FP Guests love to take leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day.)
- Clean up the kitchen after the meal. FP Guests are expected to help. It is also best if FP Guests use this time to prepare lunches for their families to take the next day. Mornings are very rushed, so this is best done the night before.
- Socialize with the FP Guests throughout the evening. Some FP Guests might be very tired, or have young children that need to go to bed, and will not hang around in Grace Hall too long after dinner. Others are anxious to have some down time and talk to a friendly person. Children often love to do crafts, play games or sing and dance! Often older children enjoy playing games in the gym.
- Overnight Hosts (ONH) will arrive around 8:00pm. Once instructions are provided to the ONH, feel free to depart. Please do not depart until the ONH arrives!!!